Tuesday, March 10, 2009

Don't You Agree ?!/ He Was Totally Crazy!.

I met a friend for Thai food and as we ate spring rolls I told him about the idea I'd had that morning: 

"It would take you places words just can't reach, you know?"

"Gimme an example."

"Ok... 'I can't believe you said that !/, and yet, I can totally see you saying that.'  Cuz sometimes you want to exclaim something!, but not have it be the end of your statement, and so you use the comma to show continuation, but you keep the bar of the exclamation point, and you've got a perfect combination of the two.  There are two sentiments to be expressed that can be syntaxically (?) correct.  It should be a commexclamation.  It's about correctly signaling emotion.  Regular keyboards would have to be reprogrammed, but you know, --it happens.  Oh, and then there was 'starcasm', cuz there's nothing to really translate that without tone of voice!, but you know, you can't get that out of a book."

"...(nods his head slowly, in agreement)...I think we could start a movement."

" *Um*,  (?!)/ I just did."

No comments:

Post a Comment